Pasta is my absolute favourite dinner. There are dozens of varieties, shapes, colours, whole wheat, whole grain, etc... And then there's all the sauces that you can add: cream, tomato, rosé, smooth, chunky, spicy, etc... The combinations are endless and you're only limited by your imagination.
My husband's favourite pasta dish is my Sausage and Pepper Penne. I used to make it pretty spicy but ever since the kidlets came along I've toned it down to their palate cause they love it too (also, the heartburn was killing me!). Tons of colourful peppers, delicious thin slices of Italian sausage and loads of tomatoes and you've got a huge put of yum!
This is a great, easy, no-fuss dish you can make on a hectic weekday night or for a dinner party with friends. Mmmmm, pasta!
Print this recipe
Sausage and Pepper Penne
4 Italian Sausages, Mild or Hot (your call!), sliced thinly
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 med. onion, cut into 1" chunks
1 green pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 yellow pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 orange pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 red pepper, cut into 1" chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. mushrooms, quartered (I forgot to put them in this time, pregnancy brain!)
1/2 c. beef stock
1 26 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 c. crushed tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
2 c. uncooked penne pasta (any pasta will do really)
1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage slices until done.
2. Remove the sausage and set it aside. Drain the fat from the pan.
3. Add the olive oil to the pan. Add the veggies and garlic.
4. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the beef stock, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and salt & pepper.
5. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
6. In the meantime, cook your pasta (according to package instructions) until al denté.
7. Drain your pasta and top with sauce and serve.
Note: This recipe usually makes enough sauce for 2 dinners for 4 people (unless you like a lot of sauce on your pasta!). I freeze leftover sauce for another time.
Print this recipe