Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Apple Pie Pancakes



I love dessert more than any other food. Shocking, I know. But dessert for breakfast is absolutely heavenly! I'll add just about anything to breakfast to make it more dessert-like, fruit, spices, vanilla, powdered sugar, whipped cream and, of course, chocolate.

Pancakes are a great foundation for dessert for breakfast. You can flavour them to taste like almost anything. Today, I was craving apple pie. So out came the apples, cinnamon and my favourite pancake recipe.

On a cool fall morning, or a nippy winter's day, these will warm up those little tummies before you send them skipping off to school bragging about how they had dessert for breakfast.



Apple Pie Pancakes

pancake batter:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. white sugar
1 1/2 c.milk
1 egg
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
whipped cream



apple topping:
1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp water, apple juice or cider

Instructions:

1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar making sure they're well incorporated.
2. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and the cooled melted butter. Fold in the dry ingredients just until they're well mixed and smooth but be sure not to over-work the batter.
3. Put apples, butter, cinnamon, sugar and water into a small saucepan and simmer on low until apples are tender and water has evaporated creating a syrup.
4. Heat griddle or frying pan over medium high heat and grease well. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides.
5. Top with the cooked apples, whipped cream and maple syrup.


enjoy,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. My kids adore breakfast foods. Am printing this right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely delish. Oh my. I'm going to have to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now this is a dessert that's okay for my dental health LOL. My dentist in Scottsdale told me I can't eat any desserts that require a lot of effort to chew, like candies etc. Being a sweet tooth myself, I don't know if I can actually resist not eating anything sweet during my treatment but thanks to you, I can finally satisfy my craving for sweet desserts. I'll definitely serve this amazing pancakes tomorrow morning for my wife and kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about having them as a dessert, but yes, they'd be yummy for dessert :)

    ReplyDelete