Saturday, June 20, 2009

Creamy Raspberry Squares

It was a hot spring-almost-summer day and I woke up with a craving for raspberries. I had raspberry jam on toast for breakfast, some frozen raspberries stirred into vanilla yogurt for a snack and I'd even popped a few fresh ones in my mouth throughout the day. Nothing says summer's here like berries! When my husband told me my in-laws were coming for dinner I went looking for a raspberry dessert and found this in a copy of "What's Cooking", the Kraft magazine.

Cool whip, graham crumbs, cream cheese, jell-o and frozen raspberries come together to make a not-too-sweet, cool, fruity dessert that's great for after a BBQ on a hot day. My in-laws liked it so much they took 2 tupperware containers of it home!


Creamy Raspberry Squares
from Kraft What's Cooking

2 c. graham crumbs
1/2 c. margarine or butter, melted
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. icing sugar
3 c. Light Cool Whip, thawed
1 c. boiling water
2 pkg. sugar free Raspberry Jell-O
3 c. frozen raspberries

Instructions:

1. Mix together crumbs, cinnamon and melted margarine/butter.
2. Reserve 2 tbsp. Press remainder into a 13" x 9" pan.
3. Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy and then fold in 1 c. Cool Whip.
4. Spread mixture onto crust and refrigerate.
5. Add boiling water to Jell-O powder and stir for 2 minutes.
6. Add berries to Jell-O and stir until slightly thickened.
7. Pour over cream cheese mixture layer. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
8. Cover with remaining Cool Whip and reserved crumb mixture. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment