Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cheddar Jalapeño Bread



My husband and I have been seriously considering taking our brood camping this summer. I don’t think we’re quite ready for tents yet as our baby just turned two (and it’s hard enough to get him to sleep in his crib), but I can see a trailer working pretty well. We have done cabins in the past but I’d like to get the kiddos away from satellite TV and A/C for a few days and see what happens.

I love (almost) everything about camping (I could without all the bugs). I love waking up at the crack of dawn to the sounds of nature, and other campers. I love sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows and watching fireflies. I even love huddling together in the tent playing board games on a rainy camp day. But mostly I love the food. Everything just tastes better outside. Bacon frying in the great outdoors is a truly amazing smell. And campfire chili? So good eaten out of a mug next to a fire while you play cards. I love a good hunk of soft bread with my chili and this bread has a nice little kick that complements a smokey chili. Make it ahead and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and it’ll stay fresh for a few days.

If you’re planing a camping trip this summer, maybe I’ll see you out in the forest!

Cheddar Jalapeño Bread


1 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour*
1 cup whole wheat flour*
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups shredded cheddar (I like marble)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped

1. Place the first 7 ingredients in your bread maker in the order your manufacturer recommends. (I find it best to put liquids in first, then the dry ingredients)
2. When (if) your bread maker beeps to add in garnishes, add 1 cup of the cheddar and 3/4 of the chopped jalapeño. (if it doesn’t signal when to add them, you can put them in during the final kneading cycle)
3. When the dough has proofed and is about to start baking, top it with the remaining jalapeños and the rest of the cheddar and allow it to complete the baking cycle.
4. L


et the bread cool before slicing and serving.

* you can omit the whole wheat flour and just use 3 cups of all purpose if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment