There's a bar/restaurant (it actually calls itself a Saloon, which I love!) near my house that I never get to go to. On the rare occasion the husband and I do go out we don't go there because they don't serve chicken wings and my husband won't go anywhere they don't serve chicken wings. Weirdo.
Anyways, my absolute favorite item on the menu there is their bagel skins. Like a potato skin, sans potato! They serve them with Caesar Salad and they are just the most perfect, yummy lunch food/snack I can think of. Since I never get to go there (I may be a wee bit bitter about this) I have been making them at home for some time now. Great for a light lunch or even a Superbowl Snack, these cheesy, garlicky, doughy bites will have you looking at bagels in a whole new light.... move over cream cheese!
1 everything bagel, cut in half and hollowed out slightly
1 tbsp garlic butter, melted
2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 scallion, diced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I like to use 1/4 c marble cheddar and 1/4 c mozzarella)
sour cream (optional)
1. Cut the bagel in 1/2 like you would to toast it. Using a sharp knife remove some of the dough to form a shell (you can dry the dough and make bagel croutons!)
2. Brush the inside of the bagel halves with the melted garlic butter and place under the broiler until lightly browned.
3. Remove from the over and stuff each half with the bacon, scallions and cheese.
4. Return to the broiler and heat until the cheese has melted.
5. Serve with salsa and sour cream