Every Christmas, for as long as I can remember, my grandparents have made huge batches of old-fashioned cake donuts. They wrap them up by the dozen and give them to everyone they know. They used to make random batches at other times of the year but now that they're getting older, and have about 500 grandchildren and great-grandchildren, this treat is strictly a Christmas tradition. I love those donuts. I crave those donuts.
I was flipping through a stack of church cookbooks my grandma gave me a few years ago and came across a recipe called Muffins That Taste Like Donuts and low and behold it had my grandma's name next to it! I called her up and she said that yes it was hers and the muffins tasted like the donuts she and my grandpa make every year. So I made them and sure enough, they tasted just like them. Now I have those donuts whenever I want!
The trick to keeping these muffins light and cakey is to not over-mix. What you get is a cinnamon and nutmeg spiced muffin that tastes just like an old-fashioned donut, perfect with your morning latte or a glass of milk before bed. Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar for an extra special treat.
Print this recipe
Muffins That Taste Like Donuts
1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, egg, milk and vanilla.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, mixing only until incorporated.
4. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350˚F for 15-20 minutes.
5. Dip cooled muffins into melted butter then sugar and cinnamon, or sprinkle on powdered sugar.
Print this recipe