Monday, August 3, 2009

Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

There's a little café where I live that is only open for lunch. I rarely get to get out for lunch, especially to a place that doesn't have golden arches, so when the opportunity arises I jump at the chance. On one fine afternoon I had the opportunity to step out for this little indulgence of "going out for lunch" and I decided I had to try out this little bistro that was so exclusive with their hours of operation. Mostly sandwiches and salads were on the menu and as soon as I read the description of their Grilled Cheese sandwich I knew I was in love.

Thick cut slices of sourdough stuffed with 3 kinds of cheese, fresh tomato and pesto and brushed with garlic butter and grilled to a crispy golden brown. It was more than a sandwich, it was a food experience of epic proportions. I've since re-created this little masterpiece in my own kitchen on numerous occasions and every time I bite into it I can pretend I'm sitting in that cute little bistro watching the world go by, it's a nice break in the day from the routine of a stay-at-home mom.


Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

2 slices thick cut bread (I used regular old white here)
2 oz. shredded cheddar
1 oz. shredded mozzarella, you can use any light cheese you like, fontina is excellent
1 oz. shredded parmesan (not the grated stuff from the store, it's just not the same people)
4 slices tomato (I use heirloom)
1 tbsp. basil pesto
2 tbsp. garlic butter

Instructions:

1. Put a skillet on the stove over medium-low heat.
2. Spread one side of each of the pieces of bread with the garlic butter. Place 1 piece into the skillet butter side down.
3. Top the bread with the shredded cheddar and mozzarella.
4. Arrange tomato slices over the cheese and spread the pesto over top.
5. Sprinkle the tomato and pesto with shredded parmesan and top with the remaining slice of bread butter side up.
6. Grill until golden brown.

enjoy,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment